Thursday, July 26, 2007

Polyamory!

I was trying to take a nap because I didn't sleep well last night but that didn't happen. I was just way to HORNY! So, I was laying there in my bed and started to think about Polyamory. A word that was not even really that familiar to me till recently. The other day I decided to do some research on Polyamory. For those of you who don't know what it is here is the definition. Polyamory (from poly=multiple + amor=love) is the desire, practice, or acceptance of having more than one loving, intimate relationship at a time with the full knowledge and consent of everyone involved. As you can see from the definition this is a loving intimate relationship. It is not just about sex. Just having sex with others is more of the swinging lifestyle, defined as (Swinging, sometimes referred to as the swinging lifestyle, is "non-monogamous sexual activity, treated much like any other social activity, that can be experienced as a couple." Don't get them confused because they are very different. My kind, loving, monogamous self finds this topic very interesting. I started reading articles, blogs, etc to find out more about polyamory. You may be asking yourself why polyamory. Well, it all has to do with a dream I had earlier this week. A dream in which I was in love with and living with two women at the same time. Is it possible I asked myself??? I seemed pretty happy in my dream...actually very happy!!! In all my research I have realized that it is more popular than one would think. So this makes me think about monogamy. Is monogamy the only way? Why is it most people think that? Is it the way we are brought up? Is it put on us by religion? Maybe it is society? Is one person really capable of loving more than one person at a time? Funny how this subject sort of came up with some friends last night as we were driving back from the suburbs. My friend was talking about this gay couple that he knew and then he said that it seemed like one of them also had a boyfriend on the side. And I said something about maybe they were poly (meaning in a polyamory relationship) Not sure if my friend understood but it seemed like the consenses in the back seat was that it was just not natural. Why is it not natural? Who is the one that decided monogamy is natural? I think this is a great subject and I would like your feedback. Tell me what you think!!!

3 comments:

caitlin said...

i am so happy about your enthusiasm for the subject! i think that it's a great idea but it can be hard to put into practice- people get jealous, or they worry that someone else is loved "more" than they are. also, there can be lots of trouble with communication- polyamory is not an excuse to cheat on your partner!

Unknown said...

damn it deb, r u ever going to blog again? it's been a week!!

Unknown said...

Deb,

This is a very interesting subject!
I think that society has put on a lot of labels to individuals and relationships...why should there always be a label for anyone? Although that is a different subject.
Our mindset has been "programmed" to think that being faithful means being monogamous.Well in the case of the polys, if ALL parties are ok with it, then everyone should accept them as a unit..I am sure that "normal" people in "normal relationships" always lack something at one point or another. If they were in a poly type of relationship, that would not be the case. Each individual would find something that they loved within each other...that is if that relationship is to flourish and succeed. No its not a relationship of conveniences, although it may seem to be.
Now the question I have is does being polyamorous mean that one person is loved by the other two, or do all three love each other the same?
Although as Caitlin said, that is not a reason to cheat on your partner....but if all have agreed, then its ok.