Friday, September 21, 2007

The Craft!!

Some of my readers out there are confused. My last few posts have been about wicca. Wicca is a form of a religion I guess you could say. Wicca has peaked my interest lately so I am learning more about it.

What is Wicca?

Wicca, sometimes called "The Craft" or "The Craft of the Wise" is one of many earth-based religions. The religion which is closest to Wicca in America is probably Native American spirituality. Traditional Wicca was founded by Gerald Gardner, a British civil servant, who wrote a series of books on the religion in the 1940's. It contains references to Celtic deities, symbols, seasonal days of celebration, etc. Added to this were components of ceremonial magic and practices of the Masonic Order. A more recent form is eclectic Wicca which involves a combination of Wiccan beliefs and practices, combined with other Pagan and non-Pagan elements. The various traditions of Wicca are part of the Pagan or Neopagan group of earth-based religions.

You can find out more about it by googling wicca or here is a website I have been looking at.

1 comment:

krista said...

Really and truly, I'm interested in knowing why *you* have become interested in Wicca.