Saturday, October 11, 2008

More on food

Misty and I were having a conversation about food earlier today. I was telling her about all the different ethnic food I love. She was saying how she has never had Indian and some of my other favorites before. She then asked me how I felt about Soul Food. It kind of threw me for a sec. I guess I never thought about Soul Food as an ethnic food. So, she started asking me if I liked food like; greens, corned beef and cabbage, sweet potatoes, sweet potato pie, etc. Of course no mac and cheese for me. And yes Misty is a cheese lover so she is of course disappointed about my no cheese eating self. I told her how I do like most of them and that I really haven't had a lot of Soul Food. Only at holidays or special occasions when I was around my ex-husbands family. I will get my chance next month. The plan is for me to go to Texas at Thanksgiving. Not only will I be in a state I have never been to I will also be around all of her family. I do look forward to trying new food. I always loved when my ex-mother-in-law came for the holidays and took over my kitchen. The food was always good so I am sure this will be too. Plus different is good! My family has such the typical boring thanksgiving dinner. I am definitely ready to tune things up a bit with some "SOUL!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What about fried chicken? Chitlins and mashed potatoes? Corn bread and biscuits? Sounds really yummy!

mygirlpurple said...

Yes, she asked me about all those too. I love cornbread dressing. I have never had Chitlins though. A bit nervous about trying them.