Saturday, July 12, 2008

Gay Marriage and focus on the family

Everyone should check out this article from the Utne Reader. I am not sure if marriage is something I will ever want again but i do see myself in a relationship in the future and I feel i should have rights whether i am married, living together or apart. I am an advocate for all types of families and relationships. Why should just married couples get benefits. Society is made up of many different "families". I feel it is unfair that society throws marriage at us as the only option whether straight or gay. Here is a little bit from the article but i suggest reading it all.

I propose family law reform that would recognize all families’ worth. Marriage as a family form is not more important or more valuable than other forms of family, so the law should not give it more value. Couples should have the choice to marry based on the spiritual, cultural, or religious meaning of marriage in their lives; they should never have to marry to reap specific and unique legal benefits. I support the right to marry for same-sex couples as a matter of civil rights law. But I oppose discrimination against couples who do not marry, and I advocate solutions to the needs all families have for economic well-being, legal recognition, emotional peace of mind, and community respect.




1 comment:

caitlin said...

i am so happy you found this article. it made me miss you when i read it and wish i could share it with you.