Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Society?

Why do we live in a World where everyone else decides what is best for us or what is right or wrong. I am talking about the expections or rules that society puts on us. Today while talking to Connie this issue came up. We were talking about gender and how as a lesbian I am suppose to fit into some category....femme, butch, boi.....etc. I was telling her how this bugs me. I am not a femme.....never was but I definitely wouldn't classify myself as butch or boi. I guess for me it is important to just be me. One should be who they want to be. Who they feel comfortable being. When i told her this I was shocked that she said she feels society pressures her to have certain characteristics that she does not want to have. Yes, even straight people have pressure put onto them by society. Why is it that a women can't wear mens clothes without someone staring at them or a women not shave her legs without someone pointing it out. This is what the focus of my next few blogs will be about. Please share your thoughts and opinions.

1 comment:

caitlin said...

i've never cared what society thought of me, but i know it's something my friends really respect me for. i think the preasure is much higher on straight women than gay women. society's already given up on them! i think the butch/femme thing works for some people, but it's not the absolute it used to be historically, i don't think these days people have ot be those roles. but i think society has even HIGER expectations of straight men! with those expectations comes a lot of power. women, well, who really cares about them? as long as they try to look pretty, well that's what's most important.