Sunday, February 1, 2009

weekend in iowa

Just got back from Iowa. I went home this weekend to see my dad. Not sure if I mentioned it or not but he has been in the hospital. His kidney's finally failed and he had to start dialysis. I am very happy that there is a such thing as dialysis. I spent the weekend just relaxing at my parents. My dad is feeling a little better and at least he has his color back but he is still very weak. I spent time talking to my parents about a transplant. My parents have filled out all the paperwork for a transplant so now it becomes a waiting game. My dad will not get better without a kidney transplant, although he can survive for awhile on dialysis. My mom is also going to check into how family members can get tested. One of my sisters and I already said we would give our kidney but my mom doesn't want that. I understand her reasoning but there is no harm in knowing if we would be a match, just in case. So, needless to say the weekend was a bit intense. I am glad to be back home but not ready for work tomorrow.

1 comment:

caitlin said...

why doesn't your mom want you to be a donor? kidney matches can be hard to find, if you can find a willing donor is the best thing. there is no reason one can't live a perfectly normal life with one kidney. that's the cool thing about kidneys.